So, how about a little rundown :)
Making up all of the pieces was pretty easy. Just your basic cutting straight lines and sewing seams. The tabs on the zippers had me a little confused but I managed to figure it out. I did learn something though about cutting. See how my Octopus are floating sideways in the bottom left hand corner, ya gotta watch that directional print, oops :)
And a huge thank you for all of your suggestions. It made a major difference to make the gathered fabric a little larger and then trim. And I love the purple band vs the old dull color I originally pulled. You all are the greatest!!!
After all the pieces were set it was time to put in the zipper. This is the first time I have used the zipper foot on my machine. I know, sad, but true. It wen't pretty well but I did have a few hiccups. Hey, no one is perfect right.
I managed to sew on the wrong side of the zipper for this piece and completely enclosed the zipper. That's not gonna work. A little unpicking always saves the day. I also forgot to take a picture (a little frustrated at that point) of me sewing directly on top of 2 zippers instead of to the side. But, I learned a lot ;)
So once I got the zippers in it was time to sew the clutch together. I have to admit, this is the part that I was the most concerned about. The next picture tells the story :)
I managed to get the left side of each pouch turned quite nicely, the right sides were a bit of a different matter. I did the pink one first and just didn't push out enough. I was worried about busting the seam, should have worried less and pushed more. Next were the yellow and green ones. These had a struggle because I hadn't sewn the zipper in evenly in the last step. See how on the picture above the zipper part lines up at the top but has a big gap at the bottom. Live and learn. But . . . by the time I got to the last one, perfection!!
So that's the rundown. I learned a lot. Got a little frustrated, but mostly had a lot of fun. And I want to make more, so that is a very good sign :) So now, just for fun, let's see them each close up :)
Clutch #2: Fabrics are Heirloom by Joel Dewberry for the main part, Simply Color by Vanessa Christensen for the band, and Terrain by Kate Spain for the lining.
Clutch #4: Fabrics are all So Sophie by My Mind's Eye and it happens to be my favorite :)
I can't wait to give these to my special friends. Thanks for all of your help and advice. It really made tackling this project so much easier :) And now, back to some quilting :)
And since these were a huge first time finish for me, I am totally linking up to Amanda and Amy :)
They turned out wonderfully and if you learned from the experience and had fun that is great. I have done these little clutches and the recepient has always loved them.ReplyDelete
They are all cute as can be!ReplyDelete
They all turned out beautiful!ReplyDelete
The look great, well done :o)ReplyDelete
Another zipper tip, baste them in first with your regular foot farther away from the zipper, so you are not hitting the zipper head much. Then when it is secure, do the real stitches with the zipper foot. Take out the basting and topstitch. You can also glue them down with lapel stick, but it can leave a mess.ReplyDelete
These are very cute. I need to make one someday. I have done clutches, but not these.
I have had that tutorial bookmarked for ages also. I must give it a go, as they look amazing. Yours have turned out so well, gorgeous colour combinations.ReplyDelete
They all look fabulous. The last one definitely is perfect. It is interesting to see your progress through the purses. Your friends will be thrilled.ReplyDelete
These are amazing. I love the pleating.ReplyDelete
They turned out terrific!!! Great job!ReplyDelete
They look fantastic Melissa!!! Those fabric combinations wouldn't have been moves I would have come up with - but they are *PERFECT*!!! Might have to take a leaf out of your book!!!ReplyDelete
They turned out very well. Your friends will really appreciate such cute clutches.ReplyDelete
Super cute! Now if I can figure out who I know who would love one!ReplyDelete
These are looking lovely! I'll give them a try :)ReplyDelete
They turned out lovely!ReplyDelete
I've made a few pouches in the past but not gathered ones so well done for trying these for your first go. I find I'm still tweaking my zip method and do it slightly differently each time. Eventually you'll find the method that suits you best.
They turned out nicely. I've always wanted to make some of my own. I especially like the green and brown one.ReplyDelete
I can't believe you had never attempted this case nor a zipper....yet you made four at once!!! I would have made 1 and when it wasn't going well....just bagged the idea and gone with plan 2....candles or something like that for the 4 friends. Haha. I made 27 cosmetic cases as shower gifts for a friend. They came out well....but the more you make.... the more you learn what works best. Your cases came out GREAT! Something else for you to add to your resume.ReplyDelete
They all look great! This has made me want to make more of them too! :)ReplyDelete
Well done! I don't think I've ever used my zipper foot, but I have out a zipper in! That goes to show how familiar I am with sewing other than patchwork. The clutches are cute, I may have to try make a few I think.ReplyDelete
They turned out great! I've had one half way finished for a few weeks, and need to finish it up by Thursday to give as a gift. You've inspired me to get it finished! :)ReplyDelete
Thanks for the great sharing! Cheap Clutches For Women was given to me for new hope this past year and it has gotten some heavy use.ReplyDelete