Yesterday afternoon I spent 3 1/2 making this little book block. Crazy, I know. I mean seriously, you look at this and think, 10 maybe 15 minutes right. We'll here's the story.
When I first designed this little angled block I figured easy, just take a large square, slice it diagonal and add a piece to each side, then just add a strip to the top and bottom and square it up. Easy, pretty, very little waste, and no need for paper piecing knowledge, Right!!! Wrong. It could be right for improv. quilting, but . . .
So, I start trying to remember my geometry and angles, (I am sure there are easier ways of doing this but my mind was set and I was going to figure it out!!) Attempt 2 found me closer to the right angle so I was getting excited but then I realized a new thing to worry about. My book corners needed to be 1/4" away from the edges or I would be having a floating book. Grrr!! I start trying to figure out how to make this work, try and remember more math, and set to it again. (Honestly, I am sure I could have walked away and come back with a better plan, but sometimes you just get that tunnel vision ;)
Once again, I tweak a bit here and a bit there, and get pretty excited because Attempt 3 is oh so close, I mean seriously, it was off by like 1/2". I start to wonder why I ever doubted. (Although 2 1/2 hours have been lost with nothing to show. ) Once last trial run and attempt 4 gets all trimmed up and I smile and resist the urge to start pumping my fist and shouting "I am smarter than a 5th grader!"
Time to try it out on the real thing!! Yup, perfectly trimmed to my designated size and each corner floating a perfect 1/4" away from the edge. Yippee Skippee!!
Add it into it's block and you have an adorable little book shelf.
Oh, and I think the biggest motivation to get this figured out was that this will be part of a tutorial!! I am so excited to share the rest of what I have envisioned. (Especially now that the math class is over.)
Have a Happy Quilting Day!!